Proper Pre-Trip Inspections are critical – at a minimum, you should be checking:
- Tire tread: minimum 4/32 front, 2/32 others
- Tire inflation: low pressure increases risk of hydroplaning
- Check fluid levels: oil, coolant, windshield washer, hoses, belts
- Check all lights: clean lenses and remove salt
- Remove snow/ice completely from windows, hood and roof
- Clear defroster vents
Use your mirror heaters for maximum visibility. Watch your step in and out of the cab. Dress for the weather: layer up and make sure you have a good pair of gloves and dry boots.
Once you’re out there on the road, reduce speeds by up to 50% on slippery surfaces, and increase your follow distance by one second for each adverse condition.