Cost: $535.00 (save $65!) ENROLL NOW!
Our Behind-the-Wheel 8-Hour Package for new drivers is designed to provide a teen driver with basic precision vehicle control skills and introduce them to safe, defensive driving concepts. Instruction should be expanded upon and actively reinforced by parents. This package is divided into four 2-hour sessions:
- At the first lesson the instructor will teach basic skills including accelerating, braking, steering, backing, judgment of space front-rear-sides, use of mirrors and parking maneuvers in a parking lot using traffic cones. Depending upon the student’s skill level*, some road driving may be included.
- Lesson two consists of vehicle control on public roads, with students experiencing urban, rural and/or city driving (multiple environments dependent upon student’s location). Special attention is paid to decision making and defensive driving techniques and parallel parking is again reviewed. Sharing the road with pedestrians and bicycles, as well as animal hazards, are also covered.
- During lesson three, the instructor gives the new driver an opportunity to learn expressway driving with on/off ramps and lane changes, while looking ahead, paying attention to following distances and maintaining their speed. The student will also learn how to share the road safely with other users, including cars, semi-trucks and motorcycles.
- During the fourth session, the instructor will accompany the student to his/her driving exam, which the student will take using our car. The student will perform a short review of the exam before being lined up for his/her test. The instructor will provide all necessary documentation to the examiner, and will stay with the student through the photo ID process if the student passes. The instructor will then return the student to home.
If you prefer, an additional lesson covering a particular skill set can be substituted for the final session. You can download a PDF file of the 8-hour Training Curriculum here. You’ll need a PDF reader software installed on your computer – if you don’t have one, you can get Adobe Reader free here.
* PennDOT requires the first three hours behind the wheel be performed in a parking lot prior to beginning on-the-road training.